Quantcast

[scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

[scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

Ed Eustace
Hi All,
I've put together a website called Scala Puzzles (scalapuzzles.org). Its inspired by 4clojure.org, which I was using to get to grips with the Clojure language.

I thought it would be a nice learning resource, through the medium of puzzles.

Its by no means feature complete, but I guess its ready for feedback.

The main questions being:
- is it worth having a website like this at all
- content/puzzle suggestions
- user experience / other features suggestions

The app itself is a Play 2.0 running on Heroku. I've dabbled with Scala in the past, but this is my first chance to get deep into it so any code advice/guidance also welcome

I've mostly been running it on chrome and firefox and works good on those.

Best,
Ed

Re: [scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

Daniel Sobral
I like it. I couldn't enter double quotes (or single quotes, for that
matter) on the second exercise, however. Not even by cut&pasting.

Personally, I'd like a site with TDD exercises that put focus on
characteristics particular to Scala. If some particular specification
style of specs or scalatest were suggested (like datatables or
given-when-then), that would be a plus. :-)

Then again, there doesn't seem to be much crossing between Scala and TDD.

--
Daniel C. Sobral

I travel to the future all the time.

Re: [scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

Pedro Furlanetto
Ed,

Very nice. I liked it a lot. But adding { System.exit(0) } stuck the
run button in "running".

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Daniel Sobral <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like it. I couldn't enter double quotes (or single quotes, for that
> matter) on the second exercise, however. Not even by cut&pasting.
>
> Personally, I'd like a site with TDD exercises that put focus on
> characteristics particular to Scala. If some particular specification
> style of specs or scalatest were suggested (like datatables or
> given-when-then), that would be a plus. :-)
>
> Then again, there doesn't seem to be much crossing between Scala and TDD.
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 08:39, ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I've put together a website called Scala Puzzles (scalapuzzles.org). Its
>> inspired by 4clojure.org, which I was using to get to grips with the Clojure
>> language.
>>
>> I thought it would be a nice learning resource, through the medium of
>> puzzles.
>>
>> Its by no means feature complete, but I guess its ready for feedback.
>>
>> The main questions being:
>> - is it worth having a website like this at all
>> - content/puzzle suggestions
>> - user experience / other features suggestions
>>
>> The app itself is a Play 2.0 running on Heroku. I've dabbled with Scala in
>> the past, but this is my first chance to get deep into it so any code
>> advice/guidance also welcome
>>
>> I've mostly been running it on chrome and firefox and works good on those.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ed
>>

> --
> Daniel C. Sobral
>
> I travel to the future all the time.

Re: [scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

Ed Eustace
 Thanks for the feedback, I'm travelling for the next few days, but will reply properly early next week.
Best,
Ed

On 1 Mar 2012, at 21:46, Pedro Furlanetto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I think I shutdown your really cool site. Sorry. Oh, it's back,
> It went out for couple of minutes after the { System.exit }, I was
> going to try { throw Something } but I think I will leave the security
> experimentation for you to do...
>
> Keep in mind that most likely others will try the same thing.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM, ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I've put together a website called Scala Puzzles (scalapuzzles.org). Its
>> inspired by 4clojure.org, which I was using to get to grips with the Clojure
>> language.
>>
>> I thought it would be a nice learning resource, through the medium of
>> puzzles.
>>
>> Its by no means feature complete, but I guess its ready for feedback.
>>
>> The main questions being:
>> - is it worth having a website like this at all
>> - content/puzzle suggestions
>> - user experience / other features suggestions
>>
>> The app itself is a Play 2.0 running on Heroku. I've dabbled with Scala in
>> the past, but this is my first chance to get deep into it so any code
>> advice/guidance also welcome
>>
>> I've mostly been running it on chrome and firefox and works good on those.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ed

RE: [scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

Razvan Cojocaru-2
The help window's close button is in the shape of a ? - non-intuitive...

 Thanks for the feedback, I'm travelling for the next few days, but will
reply properly early next week.
Best,
Ed

On 1 Mar 2012, at 21:46, Pedro Furlanetto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I think I shutdown your really cool site. Sorry. Oh, it's back, It
> went out for couple of minutes after the { System.exit }, I was going
> to try { throw Something } but I think I will leave the security
> experimentation for you to do...
>
> Keep in mind that most likely others will try the same thing.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM, ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I've put together a website called Scala Puzzles (scalapuzzles.org).
>> Its inspired by 4clojure.org, which I was using to get to grips with
>> the Clojure language.
>>
>> I thought it would be a nice learning resource, through the medium of
>> puzzles.
>>
>> Its by no means feature complete, but I guess its ready for feedback.
>>
>> The main questions being:
>> - is it worth having a website like this at all
>> - content/puzzle suggestions
>> - user experience / other features suggestions
>>
>> The app itself is a Play 2.0 running on Heroku. I've dabbled with
>> Scala in the past, but this is my first chance to get deep into it so
>> any code advice/guidance also welcome
>>
>> I've mostly been running it on chrome and firefox and works good on
those.

>> Best,
>> Ed

Razvan Cojocaru,
Work: http://www.sigma-systems.com
Playground: http://wiki.homecloud.ca
Latest cool toys: Scripster and Gremlins
Follow me: RSS Feed, Twitter, GitHub.

Re: [scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

Pedro Furlanetto
Hello Ed,

What happened to scalapuzzles.org? I've just came across http://www.scalakata.com/ and remembered your project. Hope it still exists somewhere.

Cheers

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Ed Eustace <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
 Thanks for the feedback, I'm travelling for the next few days, but will reply properly early next week.
Best,
Ed

On 1 Mar 2012, at 21:46, Pedro Furlanetto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I think I shutdown your really cool site. Sorry. Oh, it's back,
> It went out for couple of minutes after the { System.exit }, I was
> going to try { throw Something } but I think I will leave the security
> experimentation for you to do...
>
> Keep in mind that most likely others will try the same thing.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM, ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I've put together a website called Scala Puzzles (scalapuzzles.org). Its
>> inspired by 4clojure.org, which I was using to get to grips with the Clojure
>> language.
>>
>> I thought it would be a nice learning resource, through the medium of
>> puzzles.
>>
>> Its by no means feature complete, but I guess its ready for feedback.
>>
>> The main questions being:
>> - is it worth having a website like this at all
>> - content/puzzle suggestions
>> - user experience / other features suggestions
>>
>> The app itself is a Play 2.0 running on Heroku. I've dabbled with Scala in
>> the past, but this is my first chance to get deep into it so any code
>> advice/guidance also welcome
>>
>> I've mostly been running it on chrome and firefox and works good on those.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ed

Re: [scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

Seth Tisue

http://scalapuzzlers.com

Re: [scala-tools] scalapuzzles.org - looking for feedback

Ed Eustace
Hi,
Its still running on heroku here:

The domain name had lapsed - I've just re-registered it - so should return to the original url.

I haven't done any work on it for a while and could do with a good tidy up. If you've any thoughts I'm happy to hear them.
Best,
Ed