Quantcast

Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Sadek Drobi
David PollakScala since 2006. Wrote Beginning Sc...
The JSON parser in the Scala library was a short project by Derek Chen-Becker.  It's no longer really supported.  The best JSON implementation on Scala is the lift-json libraries.
found this on http://www.quora.com/How-do-I-parse-a-JSON-string-in-scala

do everyone here agree with this? Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Thanks

www.sadekdrobi.com
ʎdoɹʇuǝ

Re: Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Brian Maso
I've been using the Dispatch [1] json libs, which I like. To be honest, its not documented very well, though. Takes some getting used to, but once you get it its pretty cool.

Brian Maso

[1] http://dispatch.databinder.net/About

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Sadek Drobi <[hidden email]> wrote:
David PollakScala since 2006. Wrote Beginning Sc...
The JSON parser in the Scala library was a short project by Derek Chen-Becker.  It's no longer really supported.  The best JSON implementation on Scala is the lift-json libraries.
found this on http://www.quora.com/How-do-I-parse-a-JSON-string-in-scala

do everyone here agree with this? Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Thanks

--
www.sadekdrobi.com
ʎdoɹʇuǝ

--
Best regards,
Brian Maso

Re: Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Vladimir Kirichenko-2
Sadek Drobi wrote:

>     *David Pollak <http://www.quora.com/David-Pollak>, Scala since 2006.
>     Wrote Beginning Sc...*
>
>     5 votes by Daniel Spiewak
>     <http://www.quora.com/Daniel-Spiewak>, Jorge Ortiz
>     <http://www.quora.com/Jorge-Ortiz>, Luke Shepard
>     <http://www.quora.com/Luke-Shepard>, (more)
>     <http://www.quora.com/How-do-I-parse-a-JSON-string-in-scala#>
>
>     The JSON parser in the Scala library was a short project by Derek
>     Chen-Becker.  It's no longer really supported.  The best JSON
>     implementation on Scala is the lift-json libraries.
>
> found this on http://www.quora.com/How-do-I-parse-a-JSON-string-in-scala
>
> do everyone here agree with this? Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON
> worth trying?
scala....JSON is sooo slooow.

better choice is a liftweb one or you can grab one here:

https://github.com/vladimirk/butter4s/blob/master/json/src/butter4s/json/Parser.scala

It's based on liftweb-json, but produces result of lists-and-maps
instead of case classes, handles parsing of primitives (while liftweb
handles only objects and arrays) and a bit faster.

--
Best Regards,
Volodymyr Kyrychenko

Re: Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Tony Morris

www.sadekdrobi.com
ʎdoɹʇuǝ

Re: Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Derek Chen-Becker-2
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:08:41PM +0100, Sadek Drobi wrote:
> Actually I personally like scala's Parsers Combinators, and it is sad to see
> this comment and to see the JSON library becoming obsolete.

OK, let me just correct this. The JSON library is not unsupported. I have a patch
waiting to go into the next Scala release and I'm happy to fix bugs that people
report in Scala's Trac. Now, as for performance, lift-json is going to be a whole
lot faster because it's written to be fast. Scala's JSON is written using the
parser combinator library which has some limitations in terms of performance.

In other words, it's not going anywhere and it's quite useful as a bundled parser,
but if you're going to be working with lots of JSON it would behoove you to look
at some of the other options that people have mentioned.

Cheers,

Derek

RE: Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Det2
> I've been using the Dispatch [1] json libs, which I like. To be honest,
> its not documented very well, though. Takes some getting used to, but
> once you get it its pretty cool.

This seems to be true for the whole dispatch thing, and for unfiltered as well.
Really sad, as I think many people could really profit from being tutored into that
matter. But having to explore how these things work in sometimes .. ahem ... unconventional
ways, does not help to target the mass.

[1] http://unfiltered.lessis.me

Re: Does scala.util.parsing.json.JSON worth trying?

Daniel Sobral
If they at least were on github (or other public dvcs), people could at least contribute documentation back more easily.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 09:41, Detering Dirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been using the Dispatch [1] json libs, which I like. To be honest,
> its not documented very well, though. Takes some getting used to, but
> once you get it its pretty cool.

This seems to be true for the whole dispatch thing, and for unfiltered as well.
Really sad, as I think many people could really profit from being tutored into that
matter. But having to explore how these things work in sometimes .. ahem ... unconventional
ways, does not help to target the mass.

[1] http://unfiltered.lessis.me

--
Daniel C. Sobral