Quantcast

Best way to contribute documentation improvements?

Best way to contribute documentation improvements?

David Copeland
I have been a somewhat vocal critic of the scaladoc and would like to stop complaining and start helping. Martin commented on my blog that contributions to the docs are appreciated. I don't have time to work on the scaladoc tool itself, but I am more than capable of improving (at least IMHO) the actual doc content and, well, I like writing code documentation.  Seriously, I do.

I realize there is a GSOC project for collaborative scaladoc, however until then, what is the best way for me to submit patches to the docs so they get in front of the right person and incorporated (or at least so I can find the best way to help)?

I'm 100% comfortable with submitting patches attached to tickets or whatever the process is, I'm just not sure who to speak to to get started.

Thanks,

Dave

---
My Blog: http://www.naildrivin5.com/blog
Scala Tour for Java Developers: http://www.naildrivin5.com/scalatour
Fork me on Github: http://davetron5000.github.com

Re: Best way to contribute documentation improvements?

Kevin Wright-3
The problem with patches on tickets is that they create extra work for someone else!

So two better solutions for you:
colladoc is live: http://scala-webapps.epfl.ch/colladoc/
You can also ask paulp nicely and, if you've signed the committers' agreement, submit via patches to his copy on GitHub: http://github.com/paulp/scala

--
Kevin Wright

mail/google talk: [hidden email]
wave: [hidden email]
skype: kev.lee.wright
twitter: @thecoda

Re: Best way to contribute documentation improvements?

Jason Zaugg
I hear that scala-starrless [1][2][3] is the new scala.

-jason

[1] http://www.scala-lang.org/node/6945
[2] http://github.com/paulp/scala-starrless
[3] http://github.com/paulp/scala-starrless/network

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Kevin Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem with patches on tickets is that they create extra work for
> someone else!
> So two better solutions for you:
> colladoc is live: http://scala-webapps.epfl.ch/colladoc/
> You can also ask paulp nicely and, if you've signed the committers'
> agreement, submit via patches to his copy on
> GitHub: http://github.com/paulp/scala

Re: Best way to contribute documentation improvements?

Kevin Wright-3
Aye, 'tis true!

Though both versions appear to be getting synced at present.

On 4 August 2010 20:33, Jason Zaugg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I hear that scala-starrless [1][2][3] is the new scala.

-jason

[1] http://www.scala-lang.org/node/6945
[2] http://github.com/paulp/scala-starrless
[3] http://github.com/paulp/scala-starrless/network

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Kevin Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem with patches on tickets is that they create extra work for
> someone else!
> So two better solutions for you:
> colladoc is live: http://scala-webapps.epfl.ch/colladoc/
> You can also ask paulp nicely and, if you've signed the committers'
> agreement, submit via patches to his copy on
> GitHub: http://github.com/paulp/scala

--
Kevin Wright

mail/google talk: [hidden email]
wave: [hidden email]
skype: kev.lee.wright
twitter: @thecoda

Re: Best way to contribute documentation improvements?

David Copeland-3
I did write to paulp, but I'm impatient and he's busy and I wasn't 100% sure he was the right person.

Just checked out the colladoc; interesting.  Not sure I would do hardcore writing in a textarea, but seems like a great way to let people fix typos and other things.

I'll try sending a few pull requests to starless and see how it goes.

Dave

---

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Kevin Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aye, 'tis true!

Though both versions appear to be getting synced at present.

On 4 August 2010 20:33, Jason Zaugg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I hear that scala-starrless [1][2][3] is the new scala.

-jason

[1] http://www.scala-lang.org/node/6945
[2] http://github.com/paulp/scala-starrless
[3] http://github.com/paulp/scala-starrless/network

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Kevin Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem with patches on tickets is that they create extra work for
> someone else!
> So two better solutions for you:
> colladoc is live: http://scala-webapps.epfl.ch/colladoc/
> You can also ask paulp nicely and, if you've signed the committers'
> agreement, submit via patches to his copy on
> GitHub: http://github.com/paulp/scala

--
Kevin Wright

mail/google talk: [hidden email]
wave: [hidden email]
skype: kev.lee.wright
twitter: @thecoda

Re: Best way to contribute documentation improvements?

Martin Odersky
Thanks for offering to contribute, David!

I saw a preview of the GSOC collaborative ScalaDoc last Tuesday, and
it looks really cool. I hope we will have this online soon. In the
meantime, if you don't want to wait, I think patches on trac would be
welcome.

Cheers

 -- Martin