Quantcast

Best free IDE for Scala?

123

Best free IDE for Scala?

Kenneth McDonald
Not intending to start a flame war, just curious as to which free IDE people think is best for use with Scala. I guessing the Eclipse IDE is the way to go, since that seems to be the official IDE, but all comments are very welcome.

Thanks,
Ken McDonald

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

√iktor Ҡlang
I'm having success with the IDEA 9.0.3 + scala plugin (SBT + idea-plugin as well)

--
Viktor Klang,
Code Connoisseur
Read:   klangism.tumblr.com

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Grzegorz Kossakowski-4
2010/9/9 Kenneth McDonald <[hidden email]>
Not intending to start a flame war, just curious as to which free IDE people think is best for use with Scala. I guessing the Eclipse IDE is the way to go, since that seems to be the official IDE, but all comments are very welcome.

and follow links from there.

Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Aaron Novstrup
I'd suggest IDEA as well.

I've tried using the Eclipse plugin several times (first back in late
2009, and then again about a month after Scala 2.8 was released), and
both times had too many problems (lots of spurious compile errors
reported in the editor, often requiring a clean build, which may or may
not fix all of the false alarms).

That said, IDEA is not without its share of problems. Builds are really
slow by default, although you can improve build times using the fsc or
sbt integration.  Unfortunately, fsc (or maybe the plugin's fsc
integration?) seems to be buggy, sometimes issuing weird errors and
frequently crashing altogether.  When fsc crashes you have to restart
it, which means that the next build is slow.

I can't comment on sbt personally (I have a moderately complex maven
build that I haven't tried to port), but I've heard that it works very
well with IDEA.

If you're using Scala in production, it would be helpful if you would
report your experiences with whichever IDEs you try here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3496492/scala-2-8-tools-for-production-use

~Aaron

On 09/09/2010 01:54 PM, Viktor Klang wrote:
> I'm having success with the IDEA 9.0.3 + scala plugin (SBT + idea-plugin as
> well)

anovstrup.vcf (300 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Brian Schlining
And I'm having very good success with IDEA 9.0.3 + scala plugin with a Maven build too. There have been a couple of updates to IDEA's scala plugin in the last few weeks and it's greatly improved from where it was a month ago.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 13:54, Viktor Klang <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm having success with the IDEA 9.0.3 + scala plugin (SBT + idea-plugin as well)

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Kenneth McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I guessing the Eclipse IDE is the way to go, since that seems to be the official IDE, but all comments are very welcome.

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brian Schlining

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Heejong Lee
Emacs + ENSIME + SBT is another good choice. It's fast and fairly usable.

--
Heejong Lee

Associate Research Engineer
Program Analysis Division
Fasoo.com, Inc. (www.spa-arrow.com)

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Aleksey Nikiforov
I am a big fan of Netbeans. Sadly, Scala plugin for Netbeans is not stable enough to be usable. IDEA is stable and it works.

--
Heejong Lee

Associate Research Engineer
Program Analysis Division
Fasoo.com, Inc. (www.spa-arrow.com)

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Cay Horstmann
Maybe I am not as picky, but the NetBeans plugin has worked pretty for
me. My projects haven't been all that large, though. See
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/cayhorstmann/archive/2010/09/04/scala-jsf-2-and-netbeans
for my setup.

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Lex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am a big fan of Netbeans. Sadly, Scala plugin for Netbeans is not stable
> enough to be usable. IDEA is stable and it works.

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Jesper de Jong
NetBeans 6.9 with the Scala plug-in works well for me. It's not without bugs (sometimes the IDE shows errors where there are none or vice versa) but it's usable.

I tried Eclipse Scala IDE, but it did not work well together with m2eclipse (the Maven plug-in for Eclipse) - when I open a Scala source file from a Scala Maven project, the whole IDE locks up.

At the moment, none of the big Java IDEs (Eclipse, NetBeans, IDEA) have Scala support that is completely bug free and as complete as support for Java (for example, debugging and profiling is missing for the largest part).

Jesper

2010/9/9 Cay Horstmann <[hidden email]>
Maybe I am not as picky, but the NetBeans plugin has worked pretty for
me. My projects haven't been all that large, though. See
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/cayhorstmann/archive/2010/09/04/scala-jsf-2-and-netbeans
for my setup.

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Lex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am a big fan of Netbeans. Sadly, Scala plugin for Netbeans is not stable
> enough to be usable. IDEA is stable and it works.

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Miles Egan
I understand why people like IDEs for Java but the benefits for Scala
seem a little less obvious to me. What's the big win vs a good
vim/emacs environment + sbt?

miles

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Nils Kilden-Pedersen
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Miles Egan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I understand why people like IDEs for Java but the benefits for Scala
seem a little less obvious to me.

What's the difference?

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Lalit Pant
Netbeans (with the Scala Plugin) has worked well for me. It shows spurious
compliation errors under certain conditions, but other than that its been solid
and very usable.

 Cheers,
- Lalit

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Tommy Chheng-2
  I gain a lot of productivity from quick function lookups in Intellij.
I'm not sure this is available in a vim/emacs/textmate editor.

For example, if i have an object like "new Hfs(debugPageStatsScheme,
debugPageStatsPath, true)" and I want to look up the definition of Hfs,
i just hit a shortcut like command-B and intellij takes me straight to
the constructor definition even if Hfs is embedded inside a 3rd party jar.

@tommychheng
Programmer and UC Irvine Graduate Student
Find a great grad school based on research interests: http://gradschoolnow.com

On 9/9/10 7:28 PM, Miles Egan wrote:
> I understand why people like IDEs for Java but the benefits for Scala
> seem a little less obvious to me. What's the big win vs a good
> vim/emacs environment + sbt?
>
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Jesper de Jong<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> At the moment, none of the big Java IDEs (Eclipse, NetBeans, IDEA) have
>> Scala support that is completely bug free and as complete as support for
>> Java (for example, debugging and profiling is missing for the largest part).

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Cay Horstmann
Code completion is the big win for me. I don't like to spend time
looking up and typing package imports and method names. For example,
with an IDE, I can type

val external = FacesContext

then get the IDE to import javax.faces.FacesContext
then type .getCu and have the IDE complete it to getCurrentInstance
then type .getEx and have the IDE complete it to getExternalContext.

It's like Google Instant :-)

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Miles Egan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I understand why people like IDEs for Java but the benefits for Scala
> seem a little less obvious to me. What's the big win vs a good
> vim/emacs environment + sbt?

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Jens Tinz
  Profiling works well enough with NetBeans 6.9. The only restriction
seems to be that you have to attach the profiler dynamically.

Debugging is the biggest problem IMO. You can't set breakpoints in most
expressions.

Am 10.09.2010 04:07, schrieb Jesper de Jong:
> At the moment, none of the big Java IDEs (Eclipse, NetBeans, IDEA)
> have Scala support that is completely bug free and as complete as
> support for Java (for example, debugging and profiling is missing for
> the largest part).

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

HamsterofDeath
dunno if i already replied, but i suggest idea & scala plugin. it's far from perfect, but the newest plugin builds are stable (good code red errors have become very rare, type inference is working fine, refactorings don't break the code) and the speed has gotten better.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

GMX DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für nur 19,99 Euro/mtl.!*
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Chris Twiner

+1 I find it difficult to use eclipse at all after experiencing the speed and stability of ensime / sbt

On Sep 10, 2010 2:01 AM, "Heejong Lee" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Emacs + ENSIME + SBT is another good choice. It's fast and fairly usable.

On Friday, September 10, 2010, Aaron Novstrup

<[hidden email]> wrote: > I'd suggest IDEA as well. > > I've tried using the Eclipse pl...

--
Heejong Lee

Associate Research Engineer
Program Analysis Division
Fasoo.com, Inc. (www.spa-arrow.com)

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Philippe Lhoste
On 10/09/2010 08:42, Cay Horstmann wrote:
> Code completion is the big win for me. I don't like to spend time
> looking up and typing package imports and method names. For example,

I haven't tried an IDE with Scala yet (so this thread is of interest, lot of info on
Internet is outdated...) and so far I am happy with SciTE (simple editor).
But I admit that using Eclipse with Java is interesting, for the reasons you mention, the
fact it shows JavaDoc of a class or method when hovering them, quick jump to an
implementation, class hierarchy, fast error reporting (if reliable!), and so on.

Missing good debugging is a shame, though... :-( Oh well, println can be useful, too...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

HamsterofDeath
so there really are people that use simple text editors? i would die if i had not even code completition, basic refactorings and some kind of error highlighting.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

GRATIS: Spider-Man 1-3 sowie 300 weitere Videos!
Jetzt freischalten! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome

Re: Best free IDE for Scala?

Kevin Wright-3
There are tools to provide that behaviour in both emacs (ensime) and TextMate

--
GRATIS: Spider-Man 1-3 sowie 300 weitere Videos!
Jetzt freischalten! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome

--
Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : [hidden email]